Growing Peace of Mind
MLM’s Financial Opportunity Center (FOC), located at 3031 Holmes, is a career and financial coaching service center that helps low- to moderate-income people build smart money habits and focus on the financial bottom line.
- Assistance and support for job searches, resume building and employment coaching.
- Access to computer, print, fax machine and flash drives to facilitate job searches.
- Help obtaining work clothes such as steel-toed boots or help obtaining food handler’s licenses or other certifications.
- Bus passes to get to job interviews or temporarily for work.
- Assistance for ex-offenders re-entering the community.
- Financial counseling and public benefits coaching.
About the FOC Network
Greater Kansas City LISC and United Way of Greater Kansas City have partnered to bring to Kansas City a network of Financial Opportunity Centers (FOC) to help low-income families stabilize their long-term financial outlook. Based on a model developed by the Annie E. Casey Foundation, FOCs provide individuals and families with services across three areas: employment placement and career improvement; financial education and coaching; and public benefits access. These core services are integrated to provide a multi-faceted approach to income and wealth building.
- Increases low-income individuals’ access to jobs and builds an economically stable, financially literate and employable workforce.
- Empowers people to take control over their financial future through coaching, financial literacy tools, career and job planning, and more.
- Enables individuals to change their behaviors and become financially stable.
In partnership with United Way of Greater Kansas City, LISC established the FOC network in 2013 with local partners the Prosperity Center at Rockhurst University and the Women’s Employment Network. The network welcomed Guadalupe Centers, Inc. in 2014, and Community Services League in 2015. The FOC Network’s fifth site Metropolitan Lutheran Ministry opened in Fall 2018.